Find the answers to your frequently asked questions that are related to our company, Brilliant Energy, or your account.

Find the answers to your frequently asked questions pertaining to deregulation and how to switch electricity providers.

Find the answers to your billing related frequently asked questions!

Deregulation & Switching Providers

Q. What is deregulation?
A. In the past, there was only one utility company that generated, transmitted, and billed for electricity in your area. In 1999 a new law was passed to break apart the monopolies and allowed for multiple companies to provide electricity. When this law was put into action in 2002, it created deregulation within Texas. This has increased competition, which translates into better rates and service for you as a consumer. Although most of Texas is deregulated, there are still several regulated areas in the state. To find out if you are living in a deregulated area served by Brilliant Energy, you can contact us or enter your zip code.

Q. How does deregulation work?
A. Since deregulation, there are now three groups involved in delivering your electricity. There are the generators, who create the electricity. The TDUs (Transmission and Distribution Utilities), who are responsible for transmitting the power from the generator to you. Lastly, the REPs (Retail Electricity Providers) are responsible for billing for the electricity (this is where Brilliant Energy falls). As a customer, you now are able to choose which REP you wish to work with.

Q. Do I need to contact my current provider when I switch?
A. No, we take care of that for you!

Q. How do I switch to Brilliant Energy?
A. Welcome! You can sign up online here or call (877) 789-8801.

Q. What happens if I switch to Brilliant Energy in the middle of my contract with my current provider?
A. This depends on your current provider. Some providers charge an ETF (Early Termination Fee). To find what your provider charges, look in your Electricity Facts Label, Terms of Service, or contact them.

Q. What happens if I switch providers in the middle of my contract with Brilliant Energy?
A. We're sorry to see you go! If you switch providers in the middle of your contract with us, you will receive an Early Termination Fee of $200.

Q. How long does it take to start service if I switch to Brilliant Energy?
A. Depending on what time you ask for service, we can have your electricity on in a just a few hours!

Q. What is the PUC?
A. PUC stands for Public Utility Commission. The PUC regulates electric and telecommunication utilities, implements legislation related to these topics, and helps resolve customer complaints.

Q. What is a TDU?
A. A TDU is a Transmission and Distribution Utility. TDUs are responsible for getting the electricity from the generators to your home or business. There are several TDUs in Texas and your location determines the TDU that serves you. The TDUs are also responsible for maintaining the necessary hardware – power lines and poles, meters, etc. If you experience a power outage the first action taken should be to call your TDU. You can find the contact information for the Texas TDUs here.

Q. What is ERCOT?
A. ERCOT is the Electric Reliability Council of Texas and is responsible for managing the flow of electricity. To learn more, you can look at their website here.